These instructions are geared toward Old Fashioneds and similar cocktails. If you’re smoking something else, you might want to experiment a little to find the technique that works best for you.
1. Mix and pour your cocktail into the glass as usual.
2. Place smoker atop glass. (See illustration on bag for placement.)
3. If using shavings, place a small amount — a half-teaspoon to a teaspoon — in the chimney portion of smoker.
4. Using butane torch, light the shavings (if using) or burn the inside of the chimney portion of smoker for about 15 to 30 seconds, long enough for stuff to get smoky.
5. Leave smoker atop glass for the 30-60 seconds it takes for the glass to fill with smoke. Relight if necessary.
6. Carefully remove smoker, taking care not to knock ashes into your cocktail, and set aside.
7. Sip and enjoy.
8. Allow the smoker to cool completely before cleaning (a simple brush-off with a napkin should suffice) and storing.